Am I supposed to type something here? What's this for?

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

A man is what his job is?

So I left that wonderfully neurotic, multi-shift, iron fist managed, militant, never a positive feedback but only negative, immensely stressful and otherwise ok job a few days ago. I'm starting another job in just less than two weeks from now, one that guarantees second shift and will allow me to simply do one thing at a time. I'll not only be able to have a normal, matching schedule with my wife but will not be sleep deprived and sucking down antacid tabs like candy!

So, as we go about the daily things like taking dogs to the vet, readying the bike for riding, going to movies (Alice in Wonderland 3D this afternoon!) I am wondering about something...

If a man typically assigns his worth, unlike a woman, to his career, than what am I worth when I'm "between" jobs? Am I not so much a man because I'm taking a hit in pay rate? Am I less of a man due to my having a less stressful, less unique job? Some would argue that it's very true. I picture some random guy out there sneering at my position now between jobs and leaving a job I felt underwater with as he puffs his chest out with thoughts of his money making or his macho type, guy heavy job.

I used to be that way myself. I assigned my worth to my job, my paycheck. I've made very, very good money for years and now I'm simply going to make "ok" money. My wife and I have had a few discussions recently about this very thing and she told me that she'd rather have me happy at work and less stressed out, that she'd rather have our schedules match so we can spend time together that for me to make more money and not see her.

So, it occured to me that my worth to HER is much more important than the worth of my paycheck. There is a difference, and I am believing that difference between a man's emotional/relationship 'worth' to his wife and the worth of his professional position/paycheck is what many guys just don't get. I consider myself very lucky indeed.

My wife loves me, she wants me around. She shows me that in so many ways. For that I'm so very grateful and I will never let her feel any other way than loved, appreciated and wanted.

I have value afterall, immense value. I'm more than what any stink'n job is and for that I am gratefull!

No comments:

Post a Comment